Saturday, September 11, 2010

Crazy Love

I'm reading the book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan because we'll start studying it in our Discipleship class in a couple of weeks. Francis suggests that when we develop a deeper relationship with God we want to praise Him for His glory. Francis said, "Over time I realized that when we love God, we naturally run to Him - frequently and zealously." I understand should and ought and must. Those attitudes are probably what motivate me to go to church or open the Bible. But want to praise God? I pondered that as I went out on my long run this morning. I left right at sunrise, and as I started running I realized the eastern sky was blazing with colors as the sun rose above the horizon. It ws glorious. I started running faster so I could get to the county road where I planned to run east, so I would have a better view of the sunrise. And then it dawned on me: I was running to catch a better glimpse of God's glory. OK, I'm beginning to get it.
At about mile seven on my run I saw a little boy in pj's run out to the end of his driveway to get the newspaper. He ran back to his house at full speed - but tripped and skidded on his knees. He just knelt there in the driveway, wailing at the top of his lungs. His grandma came out and said gently, "Oh, why don't you get up and come inside and we'll take care of that." "I can't," the boy cried. So his grandma helped him up and guided him inside with her arm around him. I was overwhelmed. I am like that little boy whose knees got skinned (sometimes by my own fault, sometimes because life happens). God is like that grandma, compassionate and loving. I think I can't, but God can, if I'll trust Him. Can I show that kind of compassion and love to someone else? OK, I'm beginning to get it.
I ran 20 miles today. My first marathon is about a month off. I am trying to build up miles and endurance on the long runs, not worried so much about speed or time. My friend Randy, who has run several marathons and will run in Toronto in a couple of weeks, reminded me not to over-train and get injured. I ran hard today, but tomorrow I'll rest. After worshiping God. Because I want to.
Keep praying for RETA. Check out their website at www.retaforlife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment