Sunday, November 14, 2010

Running for RETA

Yesterday I really did run for RETA! I ran the 5Kin organized by the youth at the Nappanee Missionary Church. They have focused on "Kids In Need" this year. They put on the 5K race to help kids in need, specifically by raising support for RETA and for the International Justice Mission, which fights human trafficking.
It was a joy to see Roxanne and all her crew from RETA. Roxanne spoke to all the runners right before the awards ceremony to explain the RETA mission and thank people for their support. There was a display table for RETA, a self-guided tour describing the life of an expecting mom, lots of RETA T-shirts being worn and lots of RETA family photos. Joni and her family ran in the race, Roxanne walked it, and her husband Tom cheered us all on.
The 5K race was part trail and part road race. The morning was sunny and cool: just right for running fast. I ran my personal record for a 5K: 22 minutes 48 seconds (I think that's about 7:21 per mile). At the end of the race I turned off of the grass onto the asphalt of a parking lot for a 100 yard run to the finish line. A young guy (later I learned he was Matt, about 15 years old) raced past me on the right. No way I was going to let him pass me at the end! I took off, and we sprinted side by side across the parking lot, each straining to get ahead, knocking elbows, me growling with the effort. And I passed him, finishing a fraction of a second ahead! Matt gave me a high five. That finish was for the old guys. I got second in my age group (the geezers); my friend Arvil got first for men our age.
The 5Kin race featured a little white chihuahua wearing a gray doggie sweater with a race number pinned to it. The dog ran with his owner. I heard a woman runner say that when she had to walk part of the race, the dog went by. The woman said to herself, "I can't let a chihuahua pass me!" So she started running again, and finished just before the dog.
RETA handed out a flier at the race, which included the list "Ways to Help RETA:"
* Pray for us and our clients!
* Donate Family Store items or food for our Food Pantry
* Make a financial donation
* Invite a speaker from RETA
* Volunteer
and much more. Check it out at www.retaforlife.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment